WSSC PRELIMINARY ASSIGNMENT
Participating students (in co-operation with their teacher) have a preliminary assignment. For the summit we would like to ask the students to express their own perception and understanding and gather information about:
CLIMATE CHANGE AND YOU
- Have they personally experienced in their everyday life and environment something special that might refer to climate change?
- What kind of climate change effects (temperature, drought, heavy rain etc) various sources of information, such as newspapers, TV, radio have recently reported from students’ home countries? What are the policy measures and practical actions which have been taken for climate change mitigation and adaption at the national and school level?
MITIGATION AND ADAPTATION AND THE ROLE OF TREES AND FORESTS
- What kind of ways there are to reduce CO2 emission and to increase carbon dioxide sequestration?
- forest (area in hectares and percentages, area of forest afforestation, reforestation, loss; main tree species, main use of wood, planting methods (instruments), harvest methods (manual, tools, machinery) etc )
- problems of sustainable forest management (illegal logging, forest fires, lack of seedlings, desertification etc.)
- agroforestry, non-wood products and services from forest, berries, mushrooms. honey, fruits, relaxation, eco-tourism etc.
1) Gather information and summarize it (max two pages). Use graphics. Posters are also welcome. You will have an opportunity to finalize your report during the conference in Finland. It is not necessary to try to answer every issue presented above. Try to concentrate on the most important and relevant aspects from your countries point of view. Countries are different.
2) Make a summary as a short 2-3 minute video. The video should be recorded in the forest or nature if possible.
If you have sent us your email address, you will receive an invitation to our digital platform by 23 April. You can upload your video and written summary to the platform.
Upload the video to the WSSC Howspace platform by 5 May 2019.
Turning in your assignment
You can either turn in your video and summary
a) only in Howspace (visible to the WSSC participants only)
b) in Howspace and in addition to email@example.com in case you want you video to be public on this WSSC site (https://sites.google.com/enoprogramme.org/wssc/participants/videos) and have the consent by your guardian.